Bow Valley Credit Union began in 1953 as Banff Park Savings and Credit Union. In 1975, a branch was opened in Canmore and Banff Park Savings was renamed Bow Valley Credit Union. A third location was opened in Cochrane in 1978, and in 1981 Bow Valley amalgamated with Exshaw Savings and Credit Union.
This was followed in 1997 by a fourth branch acquired in Airdrie. By mid-2010, Bow Valley Credit Union had over 7,000 members from Airdrie, Banff, Canmore, Calgary, Cochrane and surrounding areas. Incorporated as Hydro Savings and Credit Union in 1950, the Key Savings + Credit Union began as a closed bond credit union serving the financial needs of TransAlta employees and their families. In 2000 the credit union opened its bond, extended its services to all Albertans and changed its name to Key Savings + Credit Union. In 2008, Key Savings moved to its current location in Calgary's Beltline community where it served the financial needs of over 2,600 members.
In 2010, Bow Valley Credit Union merged forces with Key Savings + Credit Union in Calgary.On September 1, 2010 Bow Valley Credit Union, with branches in Airdrie, Banff, Canmore and Cochrane, and Key Savings + Credit Union in Calgary amalgamated to become the NEW Bow Valley Credit Union - a strong and growing force in the Alberta financial marketplace.
Thanks to our members, Bow Valley Credit Union continues to grow within the community.
Continued growth within the community of Airdrie also brings a benefit to our existing and future members. In late 2010 the purchase of property in Kings View Market on the East side of Airdrie was finalized and construction of our second location in Airdrie commenced in April 2011. The Airdrie East branch was open for business on October 19, 2011.Bow Valley Credit Union's six branches now serve approximately 10,000 members in Airdrie, Banff, Canmore, Calgary, Cochrane and surrounding areas.