Protecting your privacy is important to BVCU
By using the Services, you consent to the collection, use, retention, and disclosure of your personal information for processing as described in, and subject to the limitations set out in, this Privacy Statement.
BVCU may collect personal information including without limitation your name, phone number, email address, IP address, and device identifiers, in the course of its Services, and may use or disclose that personal information as described with this Privacy Statement.
BVCU may also create de-identified or anonymized data from personal information by excluding data components (such as your name, email address, etc.) that makes the data able to personally identify you, through obfuscation, or through other means. In addition, BVCU may collect and use aggregated, anonymous information to provide data about the Services to advertisers, potential business partners and other unaffiliated entities. As this information does not identify a person, and is therefore not personal information, BVCU’s use of such aggregated, anonymized and/or de-identified data is not subject to this Privacy Statement.
- When you request information or Services, and/or when requested information or Services are provided to you,
- When you access and navigate BVCU’s website, or engage in communication and/or business transactions with BVCU,
- When BVCU is administering, planning, and managing its relationship with you or communicating with you in relation to this relationship,
- Where BVCU seeks to better understand how BVCU may improve its products and services, to develop and conduct its business and operations, and for other internal business purposes,
- Where BVCU seeks to provide you with information on current and future products and services or other developments with respect to BVCU and its affiliates and partners,
- Where BVCU needs to comply with applicable legal and regulatory requirements, or protect BVCU’s legal rights and property, or
- If you knowingly submit Personal information through BVCU’s website for the purpose of registering for a service, a contest, or authentication.
If at any point you wish to withdraw consent to personal information collection, please contact the BVCU Privacy Officer noted in this Privacy Statement. Please note that certain Services may only be able to be offered or provided to you if you disclose the personal information necessary to facilitate those Services, and therefore BVCU may not be able to provide you with certain Services in the event that you choose not to disclose that personal information to BVCU.
- Helping to establish and verify the identity of users, and to keep user accounts secure,
- Opening, maintaining, administering and servicing users’ accounts or memberships,
- Providing Services and support to users,
- Improving BVCU’s websites, including tailoring its websites to users’ preferences,
- Providing users with product or Service updates, promotional notices and offers, and other information about BVCU,
- Corresponding with you, and responding to your questions, inquiries, comments, and instructions,
- Maintaining the security and integrity of BVCU systems, and,
- Complying with applicable laws.
Personal information will only be retained by BVCU for the length of time required to fulfill the purpose or complete the transaction for which it was collected, or as may be required by law. Beyond that point, personal information in the possession or control of BVCU will be anonymized or securely destroyed.
BVCU also restricts access to your personal Information to only those persons who have a legitimate business need or legal requirement to view it in connection with the Services. You, as a personal information owner, may also authorize any persons you may choose to have access to your personal information.
Although BVCU does utilize security measures appropriate to the level of risk, no method of data transfer or storage on the internet is 100% secure and security risks cannot be eliminated entirely. As such, BVCU cannot guarantee perfect security, integrity, or confidentiality of personal information.
In the event of a data breach or security incident involving the Services, BVCU will take all reasonable steps to comply with the breach reporting obligations that may be applicable to it under Alberta privacy laws. BVCU may also seek to notify you in such event. If notification is appropriate or required, BVCU may notify you by email, messaging to your device, or other reasonable means.
BVCU may also disclose personal information about you in connection with legal requirements, such as in response to an authorized subpoena, governmental request or investigation, or as otherwise permitted by applicable law (including, without limitation, to prevent fraud or abuse, or to protect BVCU’s legal rights, property, or the safety of BVCU, its employees, users or others).
Finally, as BVCU’s business develops, it may sell or buy corporate assets, and in such transactions personal information may be one of the transferred business assets. If BVCU, its internet businesses, or substantially all of its shares or assets, is acquired or an acquisition is contemplated, personal information may be one of the assets assessed or transferred in connection with that transaction.
- “Access Camera” permission is used by the app to deposit a cheque via mobile deposit capture, store a custom profile picture and background.
- “Access Location” permission is used by the app to accurately locate the nearest ATM or branch in the “Find Us” feature.
- “Call Permission” is used to automatically call the user’s preferred branch by tapping on the phone number in the “Find Us” feature.
- “Read Contacts” permission is used to set up new Interac e-Transfer® contacts and send an Interac e-Transfer®. Only the device contact information a user confirms is readable by Interac.
- “Internal Storage” permission is required to view, share, and download PDF files from the mobile app to a user’s device.
- “App Activities” uses mobile app interaction data for analytics on usage and crash information for the current app version. We also monitor application stability using the crash logs to make ongoing improvements. Data collected on app activities, information and performance is completely anonymous and aggregated – individual users are not identifiable.
A “cookie” is a small piece of data, or an alphanumeric identifier, that can be sent by a web server to your computer or device, which then may be stored by your browser on your computer or device. Cookies allow BVCU to recognize your computer or device while you are on our websites and help customize your online experience and make it more convenient for you. Cookies are also useful in allowing more efficient log-in for users, tracking transaction histories, and preserving information between browsing sessions. The information collected from cookies may also be used to improve website functionality.
Most web browsers have features that can notify you when you receive a cookie or prevent cookies from being sent. If you disable cookies, however, you may not be able to use certain personalized functions of BVCU websites.
If you would like to access, correct, remove, request a copy of, withdraw consent to collection of your personal information, or are looking for any additional information on how your personal information may be collected, used or disclosed by BVCU, please contact the BVCU Privacy Officer via the Contact & Questions area at the bottom of this Privacy Statement. Subject to certain exceptions and limitations that may be prescribed by applicable law, you will be provided with reasonable access to your personal information, and will be entitled to have it amended or corrected as appropriate.
In certain circumstances, you may have the right to have your personal information, or certain components of your personal information, erased by BVCU, to have your personal information moved, copy or transmitted from BVCU’s systems to other systems, or to object to or restrict certain processing of your personal information by BVCU. In the event that you wish to inquire about, or seek to exercise any of these rights (as they may be applicable), please contact BVCU’s Privacy Officer.
The following forms are intended to help you make a written access request, correction request, complaint, or inquiry under PIPA. Please note that you may need to produce a piece of government-issued photo identification to obtain the information requested for access and correction requests.
- Request to Access Personal Information (PIPA-1)
- Request to Correct Personal Information (PIPA-2)
- Filing a Privacy Complaint or Inquiry (PIPA-3)
Access requests, correction requests, complaints, or inquiries can be mailed or emailed to:
Any person who wishes to appeal and action or decision of Bow Valley Credit Union may contact: